Slow Cooker Barbacoa
If you're looking to add more flavor and excitement to your regular taco night we have the perfect solution for you - our Slow Cooker Barbacoa recipe. This recipe is full of fun, simplicity, and has that extra spice you might be craving.
The best part about this Barbacoa recipe is that it makes taco night set-up a breeze. To make things even easier, try prepping everything the night before and adding everything to the slow cooker in the morning before work. This way, when you come home, you have more time for margarita prep and less time worrying about the main course!
What You'll Need:
This recipe serves 4-6 people and takes about 8-10 hours to cook. Don't be daunted by the long cooking time - the slow cooker does all the work for you! Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 3-4 lbs. North 44 Farm beef chuck roast or lamb shoulder roast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup yellow onion, medium dice
- Juice from 1 lime
- ¾ cup North 44 Farm spicy beef broth
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. neutral cooking oil
- ½ tsp. ground oregano
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo
Step-by-Step Cooking Directions:
Now that you have all your ingredients, let's dive into the cooking process:
- Cut the roast into roughly 6-8 large pieces. Use a paper towel to pat dry, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a heavy-bottomed pan on high heat and brown all sides of the meat. Do not fully cook. To maintain a high temperature in the pan, sear only a couple pieces at a time. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Remove 2 chipotle peppers from the can and dice. Place into the slow cooker with 1 ½ Tbsp. adobo sauce from the can. Reserve the rest of the can for another time.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add more broth if the roast is not at least 3/4 submerged.
- Set the slow cooker to LOW, and cook for 8-10 hours or until fork tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and loosely shred the meat using two forks.
- Serve in tacos or burritos with toppings like salsa verde, Cotija cheese, thinly sliced red onion, cilantro and freshly squeezed lime.